Know your rights - The Direct Debit Guarantee
Direct Debit is one of the safest ways of paying your bills. Organisations using the Direct Debit Scheme go through a careful vetting process before they're authorised, and are closely monitored by the banking industry. The efficiency and security of the Scheme is monitored and protected by your own bank or building society.
The Direct Debit Scheme applies to all Direct Debits. It protects you in the rare event that anything goes wrong.
The Direct Debit Guarantee
• This Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits
• If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit (insert your organisation name) will notify you (insert number of ) working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request (insert your organisation name) to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request
• If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit by (insert your organisation name) or your bank or building society you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
- If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when (insert your organisation name) asks you to
• You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify us.