The Biller Update Service (BUS), operated by Bacs on behalf of Payments UK, provides participating organisations with a centrally managed facility to update and disseminate biller information. It allows receiving organisations to update and maintain their own biller lists which they provide to customers via telephone and internet banking channels.
BUS ensures new requests submitted to the service are validated and then circulated to all receiving organisations, improving the accuracy and consistency of the biller information they provide.
BUS is designed to deliver a managed and consistent process for capturing, validating and disseminating biller information to banks and organisations that are members of the payment schemes or Payments UK.
Service involvement is optional and all eligible organisations are able to join as a participant to:
- Receive updates from the service
- Submit updates to the service, or,
- Both receive and submit updates.
Not all banks and their billers will elect to use the service to provide updates to their customers. For example, some billers may not receive enough payments via telephone or internet banking channels to warrant providing the information.
Key features of the service:
- Provision of a central and coordinated process for managing changes to biller information
- A central process to validate the information with the submitting bank before publication.